you have a growing family that needs extra living space? Are you
following the trend of working from home on a semi or full-time
the answer to either (or both!) of these questions is ‘Yes’ then
a loft conversion makes perfect sense.
are many reasons why this is the case. Below we highlight:
- Some of the major benefits of converting your loft.
- Consider potential planning permission requirements.
- Explain why including a respected architectural firm in your project really does make sense.
use – What’s your choice:
value of creating additional space in your home cannot be
underestimated. Your unused loft or attic is the perfect place to
use choice is yours. Think in terms of:
- An additional bedroom: Go all the way and include an en-suite bathroom.
- Home office: Perfect for working from home, studying or research.
- Hobby room: If a family member(s) has a particular hobby they are keen on, then having a separate room for this activity is an excellent solution.
- Den for the children: By creating a ‘cool’ space for the kids to relax in and entertain friends you are doing yourself and the children a big favour.
- Home gym: A healthy lifestyle and fitness routines are something the whole family should be encouraged to embrace. By converting your loft into a home gym and workout room you are providing a highly useful room for all. (A shower room in this instance would also be a good addition).
planning permission required:
general rule here is that if you do not plan to alter the exterior of
your home, then planning permission is not required.
is because under current UK regulations a ‘standard’ loft
conversion is classed as permitted development.
there are exceptions to this general rule – Some examples being:
- Converted houses.
- Listed buildings.
- Property in “Designated Areas” – This includes conservation areas, areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and national parks.
above is certainly not an exhaustive list. Checks with local
authority planning departments MUST be carried out before any loft
conversion work begins. Failure to do so could mean you fall foul of
regulations and need to undo all conversion work that has been
you need the assistance of an architect?
The strict answer here is “No”. However, there are many benefits to be gained from using the services of a respected, fully qualified architectural firm such as M P Architects LLP.
just 5 of the many reasons as to why using an architect for your loft
conversion project will reap rewards:
- Time saved on understanding exactly what is allowed and what is not relating to any planning permission and permitted development rights in your local area.
- Expert advice: Not only will you receive expert advice on ‘best use’ of space dependent on your wishes, but a good architect has their finger on the pulse when it comes to the most appropriate materials to be used and modern trends of design.
- Provision of architectural drawings. Please do not dismiss this highly important point. Skilled architects have a trained eye. They can help transform your needs and requirements into reality.
This is first seen in architectural drawings your chosen architect will provide. These will be based on the type of loft conversion you are looking for. Their highly detailed drawings and design will maximise available space and allow you to clearly visualise the finished conversion.
- Tried & trusted trade professionals: If you do not have a trusted source in terms of loft conversion work, an architect does! They will have a list of trusted professionals that will see the project completed in a high-quality manner.
- Overall project management: Having an architect on board and appointing them to project manage your loft conversion will mean less stress for you, timelines on each stage of work are clear, agreed work is adhered to and completed professionally, and those all-important, agreed budgets are met.
value you add to your home will more than pay for the project
conversions are not only a very sensible use of space, they will also
add to the value of your home.
How much obviously depends on type of use, work carried out and quality of the conversion. By enlisting the assistance of M P Architects LLP, you will be maximizing potential in many more ways than one.